The University Interscholastic League offers the most comprehensive literary and academic competition in the nation. The program provides more than any other UIL division in terms of activities, with 23 high school and 19 elementary and junior high contests. More than a half million Texas students participate in UIL academic events.
These activities, which exist to complement the academic curriculum, are designed to motivate students as they acquire higher levels of knowledge, to encourage students to confront issues of importance, and to provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate mastery of specific skills. Students are challenged to think critically, exhibiting much more than knowledge and comprehension.
- Improves student achievement
- Provides practical training for the future
- Enhances scholarship opportunities
- Enriches the advanced placement program
- Complements the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
What does UIL Academic Competition offer students?
- Access to a variety of insights which promote the use of higher order thinking skills
- Enrichment of the learning environment
- Motivation for learning and improvement of overall academic performance
- The Texas Interscholastic League Foundation has given over $21 million since 1954.
- Participation in UIL academic competition enhances both college and scholarship applications.