What is AVID?
- AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination
- A direct support structure for students' academic and career success.
- A structured, college prepartory system working directly with schools and districts.
- A schoolwide approach to curriculum and rigor adopted by nearly 4,500 schools in 45 states and 15 countries.
- AVID strategies support the curriculum.
The Mission of AVID:
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID at CISD:
2021 - 2022 AVID Elective Class will begin at Columbus Junior High School for 6th - 8th grade
2022 - 2023 AVID Elective Class will be offered to students in 9th grade at CHS
Meeting the Challenge:
To help all students do rigorous work and meet or exceed high standards in each content area, we must help students:
- Develop as readers and writers
- Develop deep content knowledge.
- Know content specific strategies for reading, writing, thinking, and talking.
- Develop habits, skills, and behaviors to use knowledge and skills.
Why AVID Works:
- Places AVID students in rigorous curriculum and gives them the support to achieve
- Provides the explicit "hidden curriculum" of schools
- Provides a team of students for positive peer identification
- Redefines teacher's role as that of student advocate